Favourite Autumn Candles & Caring For Candles

November 14, 2016

One thing i've really gotten into because of blogging is candles, would you believe?! Prior to blogging candles just weren't something I was interested in but now i'm absolutely obsessed, especially more so this year and my candle collection has become rather big. I thought i'd share some favourites with you, some old and some new, as well as how I care for my candles in order to get as much use out of them as possible!
With the weather being absolutely baltic I really do rely on my candles during the evening to bring a little extra warmth and just general cosiness to my room, as there is nothing better that snuggling up in bed watching a bit of TV with your candles burning. During the winter I do prefer spicier wintery scents as there is something to them that gets me into the festive spirit and just generally excited for Christmas time and i'm sure if you're like me, you'll also love these scents too!

One of my favourite candle brands has to be Yankee Candle, and they were one of the first candle brands that I become familiar with as my step mum used to love their clean cotton scent back in the day. Although i've tried a fair few scents from Yankee I definitely prefer their more wintery scents in comparison to their summer fruity scents. A long time favourite of mine has to be their Red Apple Wreath Candle (£21.99) and every year I take advantage of any sales in order to pick up at least one large jar for the next year. For me it is the perfect scent to sum up Christmas and has a lovely spicy cinnamon apply scent that doesn't compare to any other scents out there! Another favourite of mine has to be their Black Cherry Candle (£21.99), which as the name suggests is a cherry scent but it's more of a wintery cherry scent that I just love as i'm a sucker for cherry scents! This year I may branch out a little and explore a few more scents from Yankee, so if you have any suggestions then please leave them in the comments as i'd love to try some new scents!

Another brand of candles that I'm a sucker for is Bath & Body Works, which as we all know is really hard to get a hold of in the UK but it is somewhat possible to get a hold of them through eBay, Amazon, shipping sites or if you have relatives visiting countries that have stores! My first experience of Bath & Body Works candles came from a box swap that I did a few years ago and ever since then i've been a massive lover of their Pumpkin, Pecan & Waffles Candle (£24.99) which is the perfect halloween wintery candle and it honestly smells amazing! This particular candle I shipped using MyMallBox and it was totally worth it, but i'm holding off burning it for the time being. Another favourite of mine is the Warm Vanilla Sugar Candle (£25.99) which as the name suggests is vanilla scented but it has a slight sweet twist which smells incredible but also quite fresh and clean, which is great when you're wanting to get your room/home smelling clean and fresh!

HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR CANDLES

So onto a few tips of how to care for your candles, and really candles are quite easy as long as you burn them correctly and keep an eye on them.

Don't burn candles for shorter periods - When burning candles, the worst thing that can happen is tunnelling and this usually happens when you burn a candle for a really short amount of time. I usually burn candles until the top layer of wax is completely melted, and this usually stops them from tunnelling. 

Use candle trays - Whenever burning candles make sure you place them on a candle tray in order to stop the heat from burning any surfaces, as I learnt the hard way when a candle burnt a ring onto my white dressing table which is now ruined. Also candle trays make really cute props and just prettify your candles.

Don't burn candles for too long - On the opposite spectrum, don't burn your candles for really lengthly periods of time as they can sometimes get to hot and the glass can shatter. Luckily this has never happened to me, but I don't usually burn candles for longer than 3-4 hours.

Trim your wick - One tip that I rarely ever do, but I know can be beneficial is trimming your candle wick as sometimes when a wick is too long it can give off black smoke and your candle also won't melt evenly. So usually I try to keep an eye on my wicks and trim them if they are looking a bit long.

Don't leave candles unattended - Although candles are usually fine to be left for short periods of time, don't leave a candle burning away for hours unattended. The inner worry in me always comes out when I leave candles burning and it's better to be safe than sorry.

So those are some of my favourite candles for Autumn and also some tips on how to care for your candles, which I hope comes in useful if you're wanting to get into candles or find your candles don't burn properly.

What are your favourite candles?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for all of your lovely comments. I do read every single one and I appreciate all of the amazing feedback from you lovely people! I will try to reply, but you can also tweet me @stylesplurging for a quicker response :) x

© Style & Splurging 2017.